China denies US accusations of South China Sea missile tests, East Asia News & Top Stories

BEIJING (REUTERS) – China’s Defence Ministry on Friday (July 5) denied US accusations that the Chinese military had recently carried out missile tests in the disputed South China Sea, saying instead that they had held routine drills that involved the firing of live ammunition. The Pentagon said on Tuesday the missile launch was “disturbing” and contrary to Chinese pledges that it would not militarise the strategic waterway. A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said on Friday that according to initial information, China appeared to have tested multiple anti-ship…

Vietnam demands ‘immediate withdrawal’ of China ship in disputed sea, SE Asia News & Top Stories

HANOI (AFP) – Vietnam on Thursday (July 25) called for the “immediate withdrawal” of a Chinese ship in the South China Sea, as the stand-off over the disputed waters intensified. Beijing last week issued a new call for Hanoi to respect its claims to the resource-rich region – which have historically been contested by Vietnam as well as Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei. Hanoi responded by saying it had sent several messages to Beijing insisting that a Chinese survey ship vacate its waters, and doubled down on Thursday with…

Vietnam-China spat casts shadow over S. China Sea code of conduct, SE Asia News & Top Stories

A weeks-long stand-off between China and Vietnam eased last week after a Chinese surveying ship and its coast guard escorts left Vietnam’s exclusive economic zone amid international lobbying by Hanoi. Beijing, however, views Hanoi-sanctioned oil drilling off Vietnam’s south-eastern coast as the source of the dispute. Please subscribe or log in to continue reading the full article. Learn more about ST PREMIUM. Enjoy unlimited access to ST’s best work Exclusive stories and features on multiple devices In-depth analyses and opinion pieces ePaper and award-winning multimedia content Source link

Philippines to protest against Chinese ships’ presence amid troubled ties, SE Asia News & Top Stories

MANILA • The Philippines will lodge a protest over the unannounced presence of two Chinese research vessels in its exclusive economic zone (EEZ), one of at least three diplomatic challenges in recent weeks amid a souring of relations. The protest comes ahead of President Rodrigo Duterte’s planned visit to Beijing this month, during which he has promised to raise Manila’s South China Sea international arbitration victory over Beijing with President Xi Jinping, having avoided confronting the thorny issue for three years. Historically frosty bilateral relations had warmed under Mr Duterte,…

US carrier sails into South China Sea amid new territorial flare-ups, East Asia News & Top Stories

ABOARD THE USS RONALD REAGAN, SOUTH CHINA SEA (AP) – A US aircraft carrier has sailed through the disputed South China Sea in the latest show of America’s military might amid new territorial flare-ups involving China and three rival claimant states. The US Navy flew a small group of Philippine generals, officials and journalists on Tuesday (Aug 6) to the USS Ronald Reagan, where fighter jets landed and took off by catapult with thunderous blasts. The nuclear-powered carrier, which was brimming with about 70 supersonic F-18 jets, spy planes and…

Chinese investors plan economic zones in 3 strategic islands in the Philippines, SE Asia News & Top Stories

MANILA (THE PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) – Chinese investors are targeting three strategic islands in northern Philippines for transformation into economic and tourism zones. The islands – Fuga in Cagayan province, and adjacent Grande and Chiquita in Subic Bay, Zambales province – play significant roles in the country’s national security, according to the Philippines military officials. Fuga Island, part of the country’s second northernmost island group, provides access to the Pacific Ocean and the South China Sea, while Subic Bay is just 260 kilometers from Panatag Shoal (or the…

Malaysia voices trust in South China Sea pact, SE Asia News & Top Stories

KUALA LUMPUR (BLOOMBERG) – Malaysia is confident it can reach an agreement with China to settle tensions in the South China Sea after its neighbours warned that incidents in the disputed waters had “eroded trust.” The country is “very hopeful” that a Code of Conduct (CoC) for the area will be completed within the three-year deadline or earlier, Malaysia’s Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah said in an interview with Bloomberg Television’s Haslinda Amin. “We are very hopeful that within three years or perhaps even earlier we can come up with a…

Asian Insider Aug 2: US-China tariff wars, Japan-S.Korea spat, China’s media ban , Asia News & Top Stories

In today’s bulletin: Hopes for US-China trade deal dashed, Seoul threatens retaliation against Japan in trade spat, Asean to navigate its own way, China’s media ban ahead of founding anniversary and more. Reading this on the web or know someone who might enjoy receiving Asian Insider? Our sign-up page is here. US-CHINA TRADE TRUCE OVER? There was some optimism in the air just before the Osaka G-20 meet in June about the two countries coming to a negotiated settlement on their trade spat. But US President Donald Trump’s announcement today seems…

Talks on a South China Sea code of conduct will resume in October, SE Asia News & Top Stories

BANGKOK (BLOOMBERG) – Talks on the second draft of a maritime code of conduct in the South China Sea between China and South-east Asian countries is due to begin in October, a senior Thai government official told reporters on Friday (Aug 2). Speaking on the sidelines of a regional forum in Bangkok, deputy permanent secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Arthayudh Srisamoot said the two sides would delve into the specifics of the long-awaited pact after agreeing to the “basic principles” in a preliminary draft reading. The conclusion of…

Progress in code on South China Sea, Asia News & Top Stories

Asean and China have completed the first reading of the single draft negotiating text for a code of conduct (COC) in South China Sea, Beijing revealed yesterday, signalling that attempts to reduce tensions in the contested waters have reached a milestone. China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi said this represents new and important progress in the COC consultations, and marks a critical step towards the goal of completing the consultations within three years. Mr Wang also expressed support for Asean’s recently drafted vision of the Indo-Pacific region – a non-binding document…